Wednesday, November 19, 2014

First Star Disappearing

     It's not every day a fairy tale comes to life. In all honesty, the happy endings and princess stories always felt a little far fetched. But I still fully believe in them and that's where my story really begins. Let me back up. My name is Keira Calhart and I am in love with a Lost Boy from the land of Forgeame. Confused yet? Don't worry. I'll explain a bit more. When I graduated from high school, I headed off to University in the town I grew up in. However, university seemed to be the beginning of the end for me. All my friends had fled the town to go to their respected schools in the far off reaches of the world and I was stuck in the role of home town girl. It didn't matter how many times my parents told me God had a plan and he knew what he was doing, I was still determined to be miserable. How was I supposed to have fun when none of my friends were there? I was shy and quiet. What if I failed? What if I couldn't find any of my classes?  What if I couldn't make friends? What if I found out that I actually just sucked at life in general? 
    But God did in fact have a plan. When I got to University, something amazing happened. There was a guy there who basically changed my world. Now before you judge me entirely, I was never one of those girls who defined herself by guys. I never dated in high school. I could hardly even speak around the ones who I thought were cute and I was interested in. It was all white noise in my head when I was in front of them and nothing would get through. Yet Peter Augustus Pan managed to make it through. But Peter wasn't normal. He lived First Star to the Left and Straight onto Dusk in the land of Forgeame. Think Neverland but different, much different. It's a land filled with Pirates and Mermaids but it's also filled with Trivilics, Zonkas, Elephbests, Elves, Unicorns and Centaurs.
      When I had met Peter and his best friend, Arthur Dodger, they were so secretive about their past until I was ready. After all, if he had come up to me the first day I saw him in Math class with his disheveled blonde hair and bright blue eyes and told me he was from a magical land in the stars and that he could fly, I think I probably would have found him insane because it does sound insane. But he pursued me carefully and patiently. Yet I was waiting for adventure. I craved adventure so the idea of flying off into the stars with a Lost Boy was incredible. He took me to Forgeame where he grew up with other Lost Children in which we had an otherworldly battle against the Trivilics and the evil elves, Aragun and Havelen for the good of Forgeame. I also got to ride a dragon named Firenze. I was officially a rock star.
     But today all the adventures of Forgeame seem a lifetime ago. It's been six years since I met Peter and his best friend, Dodger. Both guys turned my world upside down in different ways. Dodger became my protector and Peter, my best friend. As a surprise to no one, after we graduated University, Peter asked me to marry him with my parents' blessing, of course. I'll admit my parents don't know everything about Peter's past. There were some small things invented about him. How would they have felt about knowing that their daughter was marrying someone from another world? But being from Seattle sounded legit and they've always accepted that as truth.
      It's been a full year since we were married. We decided to move down to Seattle just to see how things would go. Peter got an internship with a Marketing Company and has done really well. Me? Well, I got a job working with a Theatre company just working in the box office. Now, I realize that it doesn't sound amazingly exciting but I'm hoping to help with their advertising department soon. Besides, Peter and I get to see all the free shows that we want.
     But enough of the past. Friday had come, finally. I walked into the house after a long week of work, ready to crash into my comfy clothes and chill out for the evening. I found Peter already home, lounging on the couch dressed in black dress pants, blue dress shirt and tie. Seeing me, he bounced out of his seat and grabbed a package off the table and tossed it over to me.
     "What's this?" I asked.
      "Just open it," he said with a grin.
       I was wary. I mean, I'm all for free gifts but why he was all dressed up when I was ready for a night in was at the least confusing. Opening the package, I found a super refined and pretty black dress. I glanced up at him confused as he sauntered over to me, light shining in his eyes.
      "I know we said a quiet night in but I was thinking we could try out the new restaurant on Fifth Avenue."
     I looked up at him skeptically.
     "No strings attached, just a nice night. We have reservations at eight," he said before he gave me a kiss and plopped himself back onto the couch.
     I gave him a look before I looked over the dress again.
     "It's beautiful. Thanks, Peter. I'll go try it on," I said as I walked into our room.
     Naturally, it fit perfectly. One thing I appreciated about the Lost Boys is that they had been trained in many wonderful ways of being a gentleman that Earth boys should probably learn.
     When I came back out of the room, Peter was quite pleased as he grabbed my hand and we headed out the door. So much for the relaxing night at home I had been hoping for. But I knew the night wouldn't be boring. Life with Peter was never boring. He always had something up his sleeve. But as we got in the car, Peter's phone went off. It was a text from his best friend and fellow Lost Boy, Dodger. We hadn't heard from him in ages. He and his fiancé, Lana, had graduated the same time as Peter and I but instead of getting married right away, Dodger decided to move to California with Lana where she grew up to get to know her family better. It was admirable and like everything Dodger did, he did it intensely and with loads of purpose.
     "What is it, Peter?" I asked.
      Peter shook his head and shrugged.
      "It's a bit cryptic. It's just the password to the fortress followed by the name Sawyer."
    I was confused as well. Sawyer had been the leader of the Lost Boys before he headed off to Earth to pursue an Australian girl and Dodger took over as the leader.
      "It's probably just an idea of a Dodger joke. He's probably just bored."
      I nodded and let it slide. Peter was probably right. It would be like Dodger just to send something random over text to say hi. He was the least sentimental of our lot.
     That night, Peter and I had a fabulous dinner at the new Italian restaurant in downtown and enjoyed the cool autumn night as we walked down to Pike's Place. But something was stirring. Both of us could feel it in the air. As we looked up at the night sky, Peter's face clouded with concern. I prodded him a bit.
     "I can't see it," he said.
      "See what?"
      "The star."
      "It's probably just because of the city air."
      "Maybe," he said putting his arm around me.
      Nothing more was said that night but I could tell that Peter still felt uneasy. It was a rarity that he mentioned anything about Forgeame and the ability to travel to his childhood home. But after the text from Dodger, I kind of understood.
      Getting ready for bed that night, I came out of the bathroom only to see Peter flying around the room. Something he hadn't done for a few months now.
      "What the heck are you doing?"
      He looked at me with concern in his eyes.
      "Can you still do it as well?"
     Silly question. Of course I could. To prove it, I lifted off the ground just a few inches which seemed to calm him just a bit.
     "Okay, just checking."
      I smiled as we both got into bed. I could feel Peter still tense next to me.
      "Peter, seriously, stop the freaking out. I'm sure everything's fine. Just a Dodger joke. Flying still works. You are fine."
     Peter nodded, still deep in thought. I gave him a kiss before I turned over and went to sleep rather quickly. When I opened my eyes much later and very sleepily, something was wrong. Something was definitely different. Our bed felt different. Looking at the night stand, my clock and lamp had changed. The wall wasn't right. In fact, the room wasn't right. I turned over to wake up Peter. But turning over, I gasped and nearly screamed. My gasp woke him up. Followed by absolute terror on his face. Next to me was not my husband. It was one of his best friends, Oliver. We both stared at each other for a moment.
     "Keira?"
      "Hi, Oliver. Any idea how I got here?"
      "No idea. Any idea where my wife is?"
      I shook my head. I think Peter was right. Something was going on in the realm of Forgeame and somehow it had transported me across the Atlantic to London and into the house of Oliver and his wife Lucy. What the heck?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment